Gareth is a creative and innovative business manager and marketer, specializing in online gaming and luxury goods. He has established a proven track record of international business growth through strategic planning and implementation. Specializing in building brands/products, establishing and executing successful marketing strategies and delivering ROI, he was instrumental in turning around gaming brands as well as introducing International brands into the US online market (Caesars and 888).
Gareth left Bond University in 2002 with a Bachelor of Information Technology, Software Engineering Marketand and e-commerce and joined Bond Wireless and over time became VP of Technology. He spearheaded telco software product development and secured a number of SMS technology patents before Mircosoft acquired the business.
Subsequently Gareth spent 8 years in the online gaming sector as set out below.
888 Holdings PLC (888.com) – London
Director /VP of Poker; and Director of Marketing and Strategy
2009 – Oct 2013
Gareth managed the b2c 888poker business for 888, as well as overall marketing strategy for the company. Edwards and team achieved record poker revenues of $88m in 2012.
- Marketing and product strategy for all 888’s B2C businesses
- Overall P&L responsibility of the poker business (and some 200 employees)
- Responsibility of all customer acquisition channels (online and offline)
- Joint ventures, partnerships, sponsorships, and part of M&A team
- Managing heads of; offline marketing, affiliates, SEM, SEO, PR, CRM, VIP, online media, partnerships
- Entering the poker business (b2c and b2b) into regulated markets.
- High profile endorsements and brand partnerships
- Bringing 888poker to a tier 1 poker site, being the only brand that was growing in a declining market.
- Launches in newly regulated markets, for both b2c and b2b brands
888 Holdings PLC (888.com) – Australia
Director of Poker Marketing & Region Manager APAC
October 2007 – 2009
888 Holdings is a FTSE 250 public listed company operating some of the biggest online gaming brands in the World. Gareth had two roles within the company (i) Director of Poker Marketing (global) and (ii) Region Manager APAC (focusing on Australia).
- Managing marketing channels including CRM, Affiliates, Online Marketing, Offline Marketing, specific to the Poker product, as well as ALL products (sport, bingo, casino, poker) within the APAC/ANZ region.
- Tracking and reporting KPI’s
- Media planning and strategic implementation
- Campaign optimization
- Budget implementation and control
- Increase sales by local business development
- Generate localized CRM activities according to market specific needs
- Create and manage all offline campaigns to achieve increase in player activitity; plan, negoitiate and implement
- Generate new marketing tactics and implement by working with all departments and external vendors
- Product localization
- Shane Warne endorsement agreement
- Significant growth across all channels
- Significantly improved product
Some references/endorsements from LinkedIn;
Jon Sumroy, Chief Marketing Officer:
“Gareth is a major asset for 888. He is a hard-working, focused and effective employee as well as being a great guy and fun to work with. I recruited Gareth for two roles in 888 (i) as Director of Poker Marketing to leverage his immense experience and skill as a poker business manager (ii) as Country Manger Australia and New Zealand to take advantage of his contacts and expert local knowledge. Within a very short time Gareth had revolutionized the A/NZ business with a sponsorship agreement with the world-famous cricketer Shane Warne. Gareth has strong business acumen and is driven to continually find ways to grow the business – he is recommended.”
Hillik Nissani, VP Americas:
“Gareth is an incredible asset to any company, both professionally and socially. he is a great business person – savvy, great with partners and customers, executes well and knows how generate new business so that he can consistently exceed his business goals. His level of knowledge of the gaming industry is as good as one can get. while he knows his way, Gareth is also always open for new ideas and knows how to assimilate them with his work. He works well in collaboration with other people within the organization in cross company projects. we are fortunate to have him on board.”
PokerNews Limited (various locations)
COO / Board Member – January 2006 – October 2007
PokerNews Limited is a poker marketing company with around 100 web sites. The flagship brand, PokerNews.com, is very well respected very well respected due to its unique and compelling content including live tournament coverage (WSOP, EPT, APPT, Aussie Millions). Gareth was responsible for over 120 marketing, support, technical and content employees in 15 offices internationally.
- Managing marketing and poker operations teams that were responsible for press releases, banners, newsletters, media buys, event management, player liason, quality control of content, promotion conceptualization, site translation
- Implementation and running of the PokerNews Cup poker tour (www.pokernewscup.com)
- Setting up media and affiliate deals for our advertisers on our sites
- Media planning and strategic implementation – online and offline media
- Campaign optimization, analysis and management of relationships with advertisers
- Advertising material conceptualization
- Developing and implementation of website strategies
- Promotion conceptualization and implementation
- Budget implementation and control
- Attending industry conferences and expos
- Hiring of employees
- Liaising with advertisers about campaign performance
- Source campaigns and negotiate deals
- Conceptualize and implementing promotional campaigns in order to acquire retain players, including sign up offers, monthly promotions, large scale promotions and targeted promotions
- Website maintenance and updating ensuring effective marketing to customers
- Management of tournament reporting teams
- Management of technical teams
- Expansion of PokerNews into other languages
- Increasing revenue through better deals and smarter promotions
- Penetration into poker clubs, casinos and other offline poker groups
Gareth was also recognised by Gaming Intelligence as one of the Top 5 Marketeers in the online gaming space
“Gareth Edwards is a huge character having a huge impact on the fortunes of 888. In recent years 888 was starting to head towards oblivion but Edwards and interim CEO Brian Mattingley are turning the ship around thanks to a refocusing of strategy. The key was identifying 888’s (hidden) strengths and playing to them. One of these has been its marketing. From very early on 888 has had one of the most recognisable brands in online gaming. Edwards has re-engaged 888 with its public. Edwards cut the deal with Shane Warne to bring him on to TV screens as the unlikely face of 888. Warne was far from an obvious brand ambassador but Edwards saw that the cheeky Aussie’s charm and charisma could push 888 into the public’s imagination. This deal has been key to ensuring that 888’s re-focusing of B2C operations has gone well, and embodies the success of Edwards’ marketing and strategy responsibilities.”
Since 2014 Gareth has worked with Pax Holdings Limited, Tom Hall’s family office based in HK, with responsibilities in several areas including marketing and product strategy for gaming and the digital wine businesses. Going forward, with significant blockchain experience, Gareth will focusing on the Voidbridge range of crypto-linked products and services.
Gareth currently serves as Director of International Marketing for an associated company – www.concave.com a football boot manufacturer.